I have a great idea! What should I do now?
Five Critical Steps
- Do not tell anyone!
- Do a patent search yourself at the following web site (very easy):
- Discuss your idea with a trusted friend, but only after he/she signs a non-disclosure agreement such as this one.
Do not discuss it with anyone else including those you trust. (Why?)
- If your friend agrees your idea has merit, and your patent search is negative, have a Patent Agent or Patent Attorney conduct world wide patent research and obtain a patentability opinion.
This search must be similar to a standard U.S. Patent Office search and will cost about $1,000.
- If the professional patentability opinion is positive, file for patent protection as soon as possible.
Your options are:
This decision usually requires professional advice. You may obtain patent pending status by filing the Provisional patent application by yourself. This is the least expensive approach.
- Provisional patent application
- U.S. Utility (non-provisional) patent application
- U.S. Design patent application
- International patent application
- Application in a foreign patent office
- Application in European or Eurasian patent office
Next: See the "Invention Marketing" section of this web site; proceeding after filing for patent protection.